We have a new heartworm preventative called Proheart 6. This prevention is an injection that is given every six months by a veterinarian. This injection is given instead of the monthly prevention. At the time of the first injection we will do a heartworm check, and another heartworm check at the time of the second injection. This is because of the change in heartworm prevention. It will be once a year after this.
If Proheart 6 sounds familiar, it’s because we previously used this prevention until 2004. It was taken off the market for additional testing and study of side effects. The incident of side effects was found to be less than those for any other injection on the market.
Please call to if you have any questions or to make an appointment
Our Pets and the Winter Holidays
As winter settles in, there are a few things to remember to keep our pets healthy.
Antifreeze – Ethylene Glycol
This is actually a problem in the summer and the winter months. Antifreeze is highly toxic. Our pets love the sweet smell and taste of it. It is rapidly absorbed; initial signs appear approximately one hour post-ingestion. Pets are present as if the animal was intoxicated with alcohol; stumbling, vomiting, and depression are common signs. The kidneys are the most affected. The kidneys shut down, and the animal is unable to produce urine. If you suspect that your pet has come into contact with antifreeze seek your veterinarian immediately.
Outside pets must have adequate shelter from the elements. Our pets are not use to extremely cold weather, they need a place to get out of the weather and have plenty of water to drink and food to eat.
Chocolate – Theobromine
Chocolate is toxic to our pets. Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical that is toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate has more of theobromine than milk chocolate. The smaller the dog the less chocolate (theobromine) it can tolerate. Small amounts can make your dog sick. If you suspect that your pet has ingested chocolate please notify your veterinarian.
Live Christmas Trees
Live Christmas trees can be toxic to our pets. Some pets will want to drink from the tree water, especially if preservatives are in it and depending on which fertilizer was used.
Ornaments may be hazardous to pets. Our pets may want to play with them and then eat them, which can do damage to their intestines. The ribbon and tinsel can be hazardous if it is eaten.
Plants – Poinsettias, Holly, Mistletoe
These plants are not fatal, but can cause gastrointestinal upset. Holly can even cause depression. Mistletoe can cause upset stomach and sometimes it can cause low blood pressure or heart failure.
The holidays are very stressful on our pets and us. There are more people around, more noise and more food. This can upset our pets. Please remember our pets during this time. Fertilizer
Prevention is always the easiest choice when it comes to protecting your pet from dangers, but if they get into something, its important to know the warning signs: vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and lethargy are common symptoms of toxic ingestion, but you know your pet. If he/she isn’t acting normal to you call your vet.
You can call our phone line 24 hours a day. If we are closed there is an emergency number to call.